Friday, May 2, 2014

Day 2: A Normal Beginning

Today started out like any other; mom knocks on the door and wakes me up...then ten minutes later, she comes to my door and finds me sitting on the floor zoning. She yells get going or I won't get breakfast, and I look around me at the pile of clothes on the floor and reach for a shirt and a pair of pants. I know she's going to take one look at me and ask if I'm wearing clean clothes; the fact is, I don't know if they're clean or not...I try to remember to put the clean ones away and the dirty ones in the basket, but most of the time, most of my clothes lay in a heap on my floor. Mom says she has to choose her battles and pretty much leaves my room alone. Sometimes when mom finds me zoning, she just says "focus;" that's kind of been our code word since I was in pre-school. She even taught my teachers to whisper or mouth the word to me if they found me zoning in class. Now that I'm in middle school, though, mom is less patient and just yells.
Anyway, I walk to school and hang out in the library before school; I don't have many friends at school, but a few of them hang out in the library too. Most kids think I get in trouble too much or say I'm dumb and don't want to hang out with me. My friends in the library are okay with me and we usually talk about computer games. If I didn't have to go to school, I would be so high up in WOW (World of Warcraft) by now; on Saturday, I did a three-hour dungeon run with my guild members...we rocked that raid! My guild is so cool; they always say "lol" after everything I say...they're really my real friends. When I told Mr. Roy, my history teacher, about the dungeon run, he looked at me and said how on earth do you play a game for three hours when you can't listen to me for ten minutes! I guess he doesn't get it...WOW is different. Maybe if Mr. Roy would break up his talking with a raid, well, I mean, like a group thing where we talk with people near us and...hey, yeah, I know...like today in class he was talking about the industrial revolution...what if he let us form groups and come up with our own industry and see if we could make it work and how long we could make it work and we had to make sure we were working with the other industries and no one could just sit and everyone had a job...well, I think I wouldn't zone so much if we did stuff like that in class (Weinfeld, Barnes-Robinson, Jeweler & Shevitz, p. 226).

No comments:

Post a Comment